
Ok here's what's going on.....I'm going to make this as much to the point as possible.
I was induced Thursday morning because I was having high blood pressure. My labor was going FABULOUS and quick. The baby was doing perfect and not showing any sign of stress. They started Pitocin at 10am, broke my water at about 3:30 and I got an EPIDURAL at 6pm (oh my gosh it was heavenly). Things were going really well and between 9:45 and 10:00 (totally a guess) it was time to start working with the contractions and pushing. All of a sudden the monitors on my belly weren't picking up her heart rate anymore. They thought she might've dropped lower in my pelvis, but after searching and searching they couldn't find it. They put an oxygen mask on me, found the heartbeat and it was extremely low, and things started turning to a panic. I felt like I had totally lost control as about 10 doctors and nurses were suddenly in the room and I heard words like forceps, vacuum, C-section, etc.
They gave me a shot to stop my contractions and I was told to push as hard as I possibly could, that we had to get the baby out NOW. I knew my baby's life depended on it. I was cut open pretty badly (I have third degree tears) and pushed her out in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. She was born at 10:22pm. She came out and I couldn't see her very well because she was immediately handed off to the doctors waiting for her. She was purple, limp, and wasn't breathing. I thought that was the end and was totally in shock. It felt like forever and I had no idea what was going on while they were working on her. They got her heart to start working and from then I was able to calm down.
Shortly after, she was taken to the nursery to be further evaluated and then was preparedto be taken to a different hospital in Salt Lake City that has one of the top NICUs (newborn intensive care unit) in the country. I can't tell you how much I hated being stuck in one hospital and having my baby transported to a different one, but I knew she was in good hands. I hadn't even seen more than the top of her head until they finally brought her to me on their way to the ambulance, in a huge machine with monitors all over her.
I was released from the hospital this morning and we went to go see her before we went home. In the NICU she has her own nurse and she is getting the best care possible. I still haven't been able to do anything more than touch her.
They have no idea what happened to her during the delivery that caused all of this. She is stabilized now, but the question is how much damage was done during the time she wasn't getting enough oxygen. She has been able to breathe on her own since the night she was born and her kidneys are functioning (which is a good sign), and her muscles are getting more tone. She was totally limp when she was first born. They are doing a special treatment on her called whole-body cooling, where they lower her body temperature for 72 hours to reduce swelling in the brain. She was having some mild seizures since she's been born. Once the cooling is completed (Monday) she will have an MRI and that will tell his the condition of her brain. That will tell us a lot and I can't tell you how nervous I am for Monday. She also can't eat (because of the cooling) and has IV's in her arms and legs, it is totally heartbreaking.
Please please pray for my little daughter. I've learned so much the last 3 days about how fast life can change. I planned on a labor as natural as possible, had an outfit packed for her to come home in today fully in mind that she'd be coming home with us. You never think something like this will happen to you, someone who has had a perfectly healthy pregnancy and has done everything possible to prevent problems. No one should have to come home from the hospital without their baby. We love her so much and she is so beautiful. She has tons of curly dark hair and was born 6lbs. 14oz. and 21 inches long (tall and skinny...she certainly didn't get that from me!).
Jeff and I appreciate all of you that have us in their thoughts and prayers. Please continue to do so, we need them so badly right now. In the picture above, we call her our little ninja because her matching head thing and diaper reminded me of a ninja. And because she's a fighter. She's come so far but still has a long ways to go.
15 comments:
We've been thinking about you non-stop since Thursday. You're in our prayers and fasts. Im so sorry that you're all having to go through this but... what a trooper this little miracle is. I know the Lord is with your new little family right now.
Thank heaven for wonderful Doctors and Hospitals. Sounds like she's in the best care.
All my love to you guys.
And she is simply beautiful.
I will definately be praying for you! she is beautiful and I hope you know that I love you so much! I hope everything turns out all right and the Lord will give you comfort and strength no matter the outcome! You will be in my prayers and thoughts! Best wishes to you and jeff and your beautiful baby girl.
Love Les
You are in my thoughts and prayers!! Best wishes!
Oh my gosh... I got the chills when I read this!! I am supposed to have my baby in 3 weeks, now I am soo scared!!! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been, I don't know what I would do. You are definitely in my prayers... Update as soon as you find out what is going on with her, I will be looking for it. Have you named her yet?
We will keep you in our prayers and thoughts! She looks and sounds like a fighter! Good luck tomorrow!
-Amy Wright
Jeff, and Kendra,
Our hearts go out to you. We are deeply touched by your moment of crisis right now. It is unimaginable what you are both experiencing right now as new parents. We love you, and pray for you. Please know you are not alone. Thank you for your update.
I am a friend of Michelle's, and I was directed from her blog here. Congratulations on the birth of a beautiful baby girl.Please know you are in the thoughts and prayers of those around you. We will pray for Baby Alayna's health, and peace for you and Jeff as parents.
Kendra, it is your cousin Kim (ryan's wife). I am so sorry you and your sweet family are going thru this right now. Your story brought me back to my first son's birth. Almost exact same situation, and I just remember laying there as they worked on him thinking, is this it? I never thought this could happen....I am so sorry you are going thru this. My second baby ended up in the NICU for a week and it was hell going home without him. I know the pain and fear you are feeling. We love you so much and will pray for your beautiful baby. My first had an MRI to check his brain and I was so nervous too, but it kind of brings comfort to know what lies ahead and what needs to be done for your sweet girl. And hopefully it shows that all is well! Please let us know if we can do anything, even if you just need to talk. And by the way, I think she is one of the most beautiful newborns I have ever seen.
Kim
Alayna is in our prayers as well as both you, Kendra and Jeff. I am a friend of Janese's. We hope peace we be your companion through the coming days.
The same thing happened to me and my first baby. Her heart stopped while she was still in the birth canal. They had to use forceps and I tore horribly. I too had the 3rd degree tears with over 100 stitches! She was born not breathing unresponsive too. This was at a small town hospital with no nicu and 19 years ago. The nurse at the time gave her cpr to revive here. When she did that it collapsed one of her lungs. She was then transfered to a nearby hospital an hour away that had a nicu. I have faith that your baby will be okay. My daughter was without a heartrate for an undetermined amount of time and she is now a healthy , happy 19 year old attending college to be a vet tech...No brain damage at all! Have hope and keep your faith....
I'm sorry to hear about the scary/heartbreaking ordeal you had to go through! I'm so glad that Alayna is doing okay. Know that your family is in my prayers! She is a beautiful baby!!!
I will pray for your family. I'm sorry this has been so rough, but I am so glad that Alayna is alive.
test, Scott
what a day and week...we've encouraged four or five church congregations in a few states to put you guys and Alayna on their prayer lists...this means aunts/uncles, siblings, friends, loved ones from coast to coast are thinking about you, and it HELPS. That's because the lord of all things is always going to be involved in our lives and how our lives turn out.
I know that Grandpa Boggs would be so happy and proud of you three munchkins (I'm allowing Jeff to tag in on this munchkin team). And even tho' your Grandma Boggs is reticent these days because of her little tie-ups, she's also completely with you! Uncle Scott
Kendra and Jeff, my prayers are with you are your beautiful daughter. You are two amazing people and your daughter is so lucky to have such wonderful parents. I will continue to pray for you and Alayna!
Post a Comment