Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Another Big Day: MRI, food, and poop!

Some big things that happened today:
-Her MRI results came back and everything looked normal. What a huge relief! The MRI gave a picture of her brain to look for any obvious injury or damage, and didn't find any. Now we are waiting for results from her EEG, which tracks the electrical activity in her brain.
-She POOPED!!!! When you've been through what we've been though, you learn to appreciate the tiniest milestones like that!
-She is quickly being weaned off of IV's for nutrition and almost completely onto milk. She is still feeding through tubes in her nose, but is digesting everything beautifully.
-She can cough and hiccup
-She made TONS of progress on her sucking reflex. She sucked on a binkie a lot today. We and the nurses and doctors will be working with her on the suck-swallow system so she can get to feed through a bottle.
-She is off of antibiotics!
-She is now working with an Occupational Therapist (a lot like a physical therapist), to loosen up her stiff muscles (a result from her traumatic birth). The OT works with her a couple times a day to stretch her muscles and improve her range of motion. She also taught us how to do some exercises today with Alayna so we can help that process. Even after just today we're noticing progress in her movement.
-What a great day! Jeff and I are so exhausted though. We want to be with her every minute and are so excited to eventually bring her home so we don't have to make the drive every day. Thankfully, my recovery has been very smooth and quick.

11 comments:

Emilyah said...

Hooray for lots of fantastic milestones and great MRI news!! I have been checking all day (as if you do not have better things to do) to see the results. I'm so happy for you all and sweet Alayna too. She really is so beautiful, I love all of the photos in the previous post! We're continuing to pray for all of you.

Michelle said...

Wahoo who knew that you would be so excited for poop.

Tori said...

That's so wonderful! Everyone on the team has been checking the blog every recess, prep and other breaks for any news. That is such great news- our thoughts continue to be with the three of you. I'm glad your recovery is going well, also!

-Victoria

Kim Harvey said...

I am so happy for you! What a great day filled with great news! I know I have said this before, but I can so relate with what you are going thru. Every small thing is such a huge milestone. We love you and will still keep sweet Alayna in our prayers!
Kim and Ryan Harvey

Anonymous said...

what great news! you sound like you haven't even had to recover from having a baby.
your positivity shines through amidst all this crazyness! may the blessings keep rolling in for you!

katie roberts
-your wedding videographer- i read michelle's blog and saw the link to yours a couple days ago...

Kroeger Klan said...

Yay!! That is great news! I have been checking throughout the day and it is so good to hear such positive results! I will spread the word.
We will continue to pray for you and your beautiful daughter!!
-The Kroeger Family (your other school half)

Jenny said...

That's wonderful news that she's progressing in the right direction! Take care!

Joanna said...

We're glad Alayna's doing better! You all are in our prayers.

Love, Jacob & Joanna Moody

Jillyboo said...

i cant tell you how happy i am!! i think about you guys everyday and cant wait to hear more happy news, what a strong little girl you guys have.
all my love.

Jessica said...

Sounds like you guys are over the hump, so to speak! Glad to hear she's doing better.

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that Alayna is doing so well. You all are in my thoughts and prayers!