.....is acid reflux
Yesterday was a big day. She had an EKG and her heart looked totally normal. She had a CT scan that also came back normal. She also had yet another EEG that came back normal. That to me was the best news because her last EEG in the hospital 4 weeks ago had some slight abnormalities, but nothing at all this time. The cultures taken to test for bacterial and viral infections have all come back negative. She also had a visit from the neurologist that's been working w/ her since she was born and he agreed that it was likely not a seizure and she is now totally off of phenobarbital.
So, by what the doctors call deductive reasoning (meaning, we've tested for everything else so this is what it must be), they're concluding she just had a bad acid reflux episode. She moved rooms yesterday so she's now in her own room, just like anyone in the hospital recovering. There is a couch and a bathroom too. I spent the night with her and this morning the doctors told her she could go home this afternoon if we felt comfortable with it. We decided to stay one more night and leave tomorrow morning.
Apparently acid reflux is fairly common, and there are a few things we can do to prevent this from happening again (which the chances of are very slim). After she eats we will hold her upright for about 1/2 hour, and we will put her crib on an incline so her head is higher than her feet. I am also going to stay away from acidic foods such as citrus, tomato based foods, and spicy foods, since those things might go to her through my milk. We will be giving her Zantac twice a day as well. I also asked if it does happen again, is there anything we should do differently than what we did Sunday morning, and they said we did exactly what we should have by suctioning her and getting her to the nearest hospital ASAP. That was good to know.
We've been taking pictures but I am writing from the hospital computers so we will have to post them later. In the meantime, Alayna is totally grounded from going anywhere and I think Jeff and I will be the youngest people in history to sprout gray hairs!
3 comments:
Oh man. Weren't you supposed to start back to work this week too? Crazy. It's a good thing she's sooo cute :)
Oh my you guys are kids should be friends...we went throught THE SAME EXACT THING with Gavin...only his ended up being pyloric stanosis...but, we had to do the suction with him and finally after the 3rd time of turning blue and third er trip we ended up at Primary Childrens for surgery. Its scary...I know what you are going through, I just bawled when I first read what happened...I am so glad she is doing well, she is in good hands!!! You guys hang in there!!!! We have been praying for you and your sweet angel!!!
Yes, Acid Reflux is very common. My nephew has it and I know lots of friends whose kids have it. But I think it is supposed to go away around 8 months or something like that. It can be sooner too, that's just the latest it usually stays around. My friends little girl had it so bad that she didn't reach 15 lbs until she was 1! I would have been super worried too! I'm sorry you have gone through so much. But good news is you shouldn't have to go to the hospital again for it. Get some rest, is there anything I can do for you guys?
Post a Comment