Sunday, December 7, 2008

Back to the Hospital

At 3:30 Sunday morning we woke up to a cry from Alayna. I went to her crib in our room and wasn't surprised that she had woken up because it was about time for her to eat. Then things started going downhill really fast as she sounded like she had a lot of mucus and saliva in her nose and throat and couldn't clear it out. She would scream then stop breathing for a few seconds, then start breathing again. She could occasionally cough but wasn't swallowing the secretions. We could also tell she wanted to sneeze but was mad that she couldn't. We started suctioning her nose and mouth with a bulb syringe, and got some junk out, but it wasn't getting better. We rushed her to Lakeview Hospital (just about a mile or two away), where she was intibated (breathing tube down her throat) once again. They weren't positive that it was totally necessary but it was more of a precaution. She was also sedated and given an IV in her HEAD (We HATED that...she didn't even have that during her 10 days at the U of U NICU). Since Lakeview is not equipped to help infants like her, they life flighted her (once again...but by helicopter this time) to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake.



She is now at the PICU (Pediatric ICU) at Primary Childrens. When we first got there they were thinking there were 3 main possibilities: a seizure, acid reflux, or an infection either viral or bacterial. After a long day today and a visit from the neurologist, the doctors don't think she had a seizure (we didn't think so either). They took blood and urine samples and did a spinal tap to test those fluids for possible infections. It will take 2 days for all of the results to come back, but so far all have come back negative. After a few hours at Primary Children's, they turned off the oxygen and she was breathing just fine on her own, so they extibated her. She is on 4 antibiotics and will have another EEG tomorrow just to make sure everything still looks ok.


The hardest part is, that's all we know right now, and there isn't much we can do. What kills us is that because of being intibated, her little voice is hoarse and since she isn't sedated, when she cries it just breaks your heart.


Please pray for Alayna. We know she is in good hands but as Jeff would say, "this is for the birds!!!!!!!"

2 comments:

Jillyboo said...

I cant believe it! You guys, I am so sorry. I know this is all breaking your heart. Sounds a lot like the stuff that was happening to Olivia with her reflux. I never knew it could effect them so severely.
I hope it all turns out well and you get to go home soon. You must shiver when you see a Hospital these days. I am glad she is in good hands.

Becca said...

poor baby. Of course, I will pray for you guys. I am so sorry things have been rough like this.