Yep. The only reason why I'm awake and blogging at 1am. Alayna has RSV (a respiratory viral infection). It is the dread of every parent with a new baby during the winter here, and the only thing that makes us feel better is knowing that we did our best to prevent it. We've hardly taken her ANYWHERE since she's been born, and we try and keep our house as sanitary as we can. When I get home from work, before I even touch her, I wash my hands and change my clothes. So frustrating.
I first noticed her cough on Thursday morning getting her ready to go to her babysitter's house while I worked for the day. It was a wet cough, and she was clearly trying to break up mucous in her lungs. I took her temp and so did Cherie (her babysitter) later that day, and no fever. Her cough was hardly there during the day as well, but it did come back at night. Same story Friday when she went to my mother-in-laws. Nothing that caused too much worry. This morning though, it was worse, and her nose was also runny. Even though I was pretty sure it was just a cold, I needed to take her in to the doctor for peace of mind, so they could tell me "yep, it's just a cold." We got to the doctor today and no fever, then she checked her ears and found an infection in one ear. She explained that 86% of babies w/ RSV have an ear infection. crap. Then checked out her throat and it was really red. She did a rapid results RSV test by taking cultures from up her nose, while we waited. No doubt about it, she's got RSV.
The only things we can do are make her comfortable. We have a humidifier going non-stop, warm baths, antibiotics for the ear infection, and tylenol for her sore throat. And, lots and lots of suctioning her snot out with a bulb syringe. The number one concern is to make sure she isn't having a hard time breathing. She told us how to count her breaths. So we are taking 2 hour shifts during the night to watch her and she is going back to the dr on Monday. Alayna is handling it very well and is happy and still eating and sleeping just fine. So hopefully it will stay a milder case. I think we are in day 3 (Saturday), and days 4, 5, and 6 are apparently the worst.
Sorry to both sets of grandparents, but you aren't getting any more grandkids from us!!!!
3 comments:
I'm so sorry, sweetie. I'm surprised your doctor didn't send you straight to the children's hospital like mine did when Adam came down with RSV last month. Adam was only 2 weeks old though. (He is completely better, btw). I hope Alayna case doesn't get any worse. We will keep her in our prayers.
You'd think there would be a limit on how many problems you have to face as a parent! I hope she recovers very quickly. You are an amazing mom!
I am so glad that she didn't have to get the nebulizer and all of that stuff. Girl are you trying to make your parents hair gray by the time they are 25. I will be happy to come and do a turn.
Post a Comment