I teach first grade in a job-share, so I teach Social Studies and Mrs. K teaches science. We spent some time talking about different careers and jobs, and the kids worked on a little project. They wrote about what they want to be when they grow up, and why. Then they made a drawing/cut out of what they will look like when they're doing that job. Then every day a few of them present their project to the class. I had students wanting to be everything from an American Idol, to a Swat team member, to a lanscape architect. Here are some of my favorites:
1. A Teranchula Trainer...yes, as in someone who trains teranchulas...I have no idea where he got that idea. He wrote: I want to be a teranchula trainer because I like spiders. They catch their prey.
2. A person who works at Dippin Dots. "So I can eat ice cream all the time. It will be so great on a hot day."
3. One girl approached me on the first day we started this project, looking very troubled:
"Mrs. Yoho, what if I want to be a mom when I grow up? Is that a job?"
"You bet it is!"
"Cool"
What a great job I have
2 comments:
BIG :)
Oh.my.goodness! #3, that little girl has it all figured out. I'm weird, but reading that last one almost made me cry. haha.
Post a Comment