One of my goals/resolutions for 2009 was to NEVER text while driving (TWD). I have seen and heard statistics on TV about the dangers of it, and I told myself that I will never be responsible for harming someone else because I was distracted by texting. It is also a misdemeanor in Utah for TWD. I am proud to say that at least since January 2009, I have NOT texted while driving! Any messages that I get CAN and WILL wait! Think of how long we "survived" without not only cell phones, but without the invention of texting! If it is super urgent, call the person (which I do), or PULL OVER!
Oprah has been all over TV encouraging her "NO Phone Zone" pledge, which encourages people to pledge on her website to not use a phone at ALL while driving! She suggests even leaving your phone in the back seat so you aren't tempted.
So, I am going to take my resolution a little farther. While right now I do not feel I can pledge to not use a phone at all while driving (I get lost too often lol), I will say that I will use the phone LESS. If I do have to use the phone while driving, I will keep my conversations brief. I know it is so nice to "multi task" while driving and catch up with friends and family, but it is not a good idea. I'm sure everyone that has caused a crash from being distracted on their phone thought they were a good enough driver to handle the multi-tasking, just as we all think we are.
So, if you text me, it will have to wait if I'm driving. If I'm on the phone with you while I'm driving, remind me of my goal and do not think I am rude for keeping the conversation brief.
Any thoughts???
Have you ever witnessed a crash or a person doing something dumb on the road because they were texting???
Have you ever known anyone to get hurt or killed from an accident caused by driver distractions???
7 comments:
You are WONDERFULL! I wish everyone was like you! If I think someone is driving (when I call them) I tell them I will call them back!
I don't know personally of anyone who's been hurt b/c of DWT, but I've heard that the stats are right up there with DUI. Here's my suggestion for everyone: If you're driving and receive a call, let the person know IMMEDIATELY that you're driving & feel uncomfortable w/long conversations doing so. I REALLY don't want to talk to someone who's on the road - at least not for an extended period of time. Maybe just to tell them something important (like someone's PREGNANT), or to ask a quick question.
When I lived at Raintree I was in a head on collision. The lady that hit me was on her phone and dropped it. She bent over to pick it up while driving and ran the red light, hitting me head on. To this day I still have problems, but I am truly greatful that I lived.
Beware of Hamsters! There was a teenage girl who caused a crash on I-15 last year because her hamster (which was in a cage on the passenger seat) got out, so she reached for it. Ended up drifting off the road and hit a broken down car. Broke a guy's legs!
P.S. I agree with you.
if i text, it's at a light or something - and i watch the light the other direction to see if i'm getting close to green or not - and if i talk on the phone, it's via my bluetooth that's through my car, so there's no headset and no phone! just a couple of buttons on my steering wheel.
Danielle, I remember that accident! I'm sad it's still affecting you today. Keith, I will beware or hamsters! Adrienne, that is a good idea about the blue tooth. I need to look into that
Post a Comment