Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm doing this TODAY

Last Sunday's newspaper was all about preparing for an earthquake, in lieu of the one in Haiti. The paper had all kinds of checklists to be prepared, and this is one I hadn't thought of having in addition to a 72 hour kit. I am doing this for Alayna TODAY. It's not only useful for earthquakes but for any unexpected disaster.

Child's Bedside Backpack
*a tote bag, duffel bag, or backpack under bed for quick access
-Jacket (hat, gloves if cold weather)
-Sweater or sweatshirt
-2 pairs socks
-Change of undergarments
-Small blanket
-Coloring books, crayons, writing pads, pencils, reading books
-Small stuffed animal, favorite toy (stress relief)
-Personal flashlight and extra batteries

Zip-top items for backpack
-emergency poncho
-hand/body warmer
-trial size toothpaste, toothbrush, lotion, shampoo/conditioner
-4 moist hand towelettes
-4 sterile swabs
-bandages in a variety of sizes (I am enclosing a mini first aid kit)
-2 pocket-size facial tissue
-trial size bar soap or sanitizer
-nail file or clippers
-Safety pins in a variety of sizes
-Whistle w/ lanyard

For babies
*extra pacifiers, formula, diapers

Make it a priority to do this for each child in your home. I already had most of the stuff and I will have to be on top of updating the clothes, etc as time goes by!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm impressed!

Keith said...

Good idea...especially since there are fault lines VERY close by and geologists say a big earthquake is going to happen in the near future.

We used some of our tax return money to rebuild our food/water storage today. But I like your list!