I know it is only January, but I am already looking forward to spring! One of the reasons (besides taking walks, sunny weather, and trees coming back to life) is because Jeff and I are going to plant a vegetable garden! We want to make it simple since it's our first time, and because we'll have to replace the sod and all in a couple years when we move out. So I'm asking YOU, what are some fruits/veggies we could plant that are good for first timers (low maintenance and forgiving), and can grow in Utah?
Some ideas we've had are green beans, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, and peppers. Any comments or suggestions?
8 comments:
I think squash grows well here. Potatoes probably grow well also, but that's not as fun.
I killed my grass in the fall and let it die all winter. Then John tilled it up and we put some soil into it from the local garden center. We had an abundance of tomoatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans, peas. You can do it and you will absolutely love it.
thanks guys, and I accidentally deleted a comment from our cousin Holli, but she suggested mini-pumpkins because they are low maintenance and fun for decorating with in the fall!
I suggest starting with tomato plants (rather than seeds). Much easier that way. We love the salsa tomatoes from Burbees. They taste so good fresh and they have very little seeds, which makes them great for slicing and dicing.
I remember thinning out onions at our stake farm in SL Valley many years ago.
Oh that is a good idea to start with a tomato plant...I'm positive I want to grow tomatoes this year. What is Burbees?
Container gardening is much easier & you don't have to dig out the sod. Buy a 40 pound bag of potting soil. Lay it flat & poke a bunch of holes in it with a nail. Flip it over & cut 3 large holes down the center line. Middle is for the plant & other 2 for water & Miracle Grow (or equiv.) Great for tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc. When it's done just spread dirt on the lawn.
Burbees is a seed catalog. Buy all kinds of veggie and other plant seeds.
Post a Comment