Thursday, September 11, 2014

Final Trip Post: Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Grand Cayman was beautiful.  Our first excursion was to Sting Ray City to get to interact with and feed giant Rays.  The water was crystal clear








 As you can see, we weren't the only ones there!!!
 Our second excursion was snorkeling.  It was fun....I wouldn't rate it nearly as high as snorkeling in the Bahamas, but it was still awesome!



 After our excursions, we needed to find a place to eat lunch.  They had Dairy Queen and a couple other American restaurants there, but we wanted something different, and ended up finding a restaurant that was pricey and served mediocre food, but the view was amazing!
 A view of what Grand Cayman is like.  Very civilized, lots of shopping, and lots of tourists!
 I decided I had to try a coconut.  It was NASTY!  Someone said maybe I got a rotten one but ugh, so disappointing!

The Final Port: Mexico!!!  We were so excited to go here and wish we could've spent more than just 9 hours off the ship.  We were some of the first people off the boat and some of the last to get back on!  Our ship docked in Cozumel (pictured below)
 For our excursion to Tulum, we then got on an enclosed ferry that took us to Playa del Carmen (below).  I'd so love to vacation there!
 Then we got on a caterpillar bus.  Jeff has often talked about how nice the buses are in Mexico, and this was totally the case.  Very nice and comfortable!
The bus took us to Tulum to see the ancient ruins




When the bus drops you off, you walk for a little ways down a dusty path

 And then, there you are at the entrance to Tulum
 An amazing place...I wish these old structures could talk and share what has happened there

 Our guide



 You can still see the carvings
 These guys were EVERYWHERE
 The temple of the descending God
 closer up
 I can totally see why people would want to settle here!



 Once we finally got back to Cozumel, we had 1.5hrs left, and our main goal was to find TACOS!  You'd think, hey, its Mexico, they have taco stands everywhere, right?  Wrong!  Not in touristy Mexico.  They had tons of hotdog stands though!  If you know Jeff, and me, that should make you laugh because we both can't stand hot dogs.  After some walking around, we found a restaurant called Machete with authentic Tacos al Pastor and the owner saidhe could have our food ready in 3 minutes.  It was delicious, and the Limonad hit the spot too. 
 Another adventure:  Riding a Mexican taxi back to our ship
We planned our cruise for so long, and its hard to believe it has already come and gone.  I love, LOVE, LOVE traveling and seeing other parts of the world and how people live.  So glad Jeff and I could have that adventure and I'm hoping for more to come!

No comments: